Google

February 08, 2008

A Chat with Tech Support

I don't know whether this makes me feel better because I'm not alone or makes me shake my head in further disgust...

A Chat with Tech Support

I've had three really bad experiences with technical support organizations over the last six months. I have two main complaints:
  • They all seem to be reading from scripts, ignoring the individual dynamic of most tech support issues.
  • They assume that you're an idiot, no matter how hard you try to display your own acumen.
For example, I was advised by a tech support person to "clean boot" Windows and add in one memory-resident program at a time until the conflict was found. At 1.5 hours per program run (due to the nature of the program), I calculated that this troubleshooting could potentially take more than 40 hours to complete. I'm not divulging my bill rate, but I assure you that my rate for 40 hours of work is more than the $70 retail price of the software.

I think it's time to think about blowing up the current process and starting over...

(Thanks to The Open Road for the original post)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home